Staving off the boredom that strikes you can quickly become your number one priority when you’re stuck for things to do. But there are plenty of entertainment hacks that will keep you busy. You just need to get creative and make sure that you have the right ideas and know the right tricks. The ideas below will help you get started.
Try Free Online Games and Get Engrossed
The internet is packed full of so many great free games, you just need to make the most of them. You can easily get lost in these games once you get started. Of course, these are not the very best games in the world. If they were, you wouldn’t be able to play them for free on your internet browser. But that doesn’t mean that they should be dismissed either. If they hold your attention and keep you occupied, then they are certainly worth investing some time in. So, try to make sure that you give these games a chance the next time you’re bored. You might be surprised by what you find.
Get Lost in a Netflix Series That You’ve Never Seen Before
There are so many fantastic shows on Netflix, and you should give them a try when you’re bored. Yes, starting a show that has dozens of episodes can be pretty daunting to begin with. But once you get started, you won’t be able to peel your eyes off the TV screen. That’s the joy of getting lost in these modern series. They grip you, and they never let go. You can go to www.securethoughts.comif you want to view these things for free. If you’ve never paid attention to the long form TV series that people rave about, now is the time to change all that.
Invest in a Home Cinema Setup
This is not something that will help you improve your entertainment options right this second. But by investing in a great home cinema setup, you will be able to make sure that you have all the right things in place to ensure boredom doesn’t become a problem again in the future. It can be costly to make this kind of investment in your home entertainment setup, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t go for it. It could turn out to be one of the best things that you ever do. Go to gizmodo.com/set-up-your-home-theater if you want to learn more about doing this.
Going back to basics can also yield fantastic results when you want to stave off the boredom and get everyone enjoying each other’s company in your home. There is often nothing better than getting together as a family to have fun and play a game. It can be something as simple as an old board game. Often, the old ones are the best when it comes to games. So, give it a shot and have fun collectively in your household if you can.
We hope that these entertainment hacks will help you to stave off the boredom and if you have any other fantastic ideas and suggestions, do share it with us in the comments section below!
The Smartphone; it is an amazing piece of tech that does a lot for us, but without applications, it is just a normal bog standard phone. Apps are amazing little things that open up a unique door of possibilities every single time they are used. From blasting music with Deezer, to binging a TV series on Netflix, there is a lot that you can do in terms of entertainment with a smartphone loaded up with some good apps and a big memory card.
With commutes, traveling and breaks – we need entertainment more than ever – thankfully, with a smartphone, we can get more entertainment than ever before, but only with the right apps.
First up, the entertainment app that everyone needs to have on their smartphone is of course Netflix. We are in a period now where better television content is being created than ever before and it really is Netflix who lead that movement. Some of the Netflix Original’s are the best films and TV shows around. With House of Cards, Arrested Development and The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt as well as a whole bunch of Marvel shows; Netflix is the only place to get some amazing programming from. Of course, it is limited by borders and content differs between countries, but you can easily work around that with tools like www.flixusa.com.au which allows you bypass regional blocks so you can access the best content that Netflix has to offer. This might be the best entertainment app going.
But we can’t forget music. Music might be the thing that makes the world go round. Spotify and Deezer are amazing apps that allow us to listen to new music as well as classic tunes. It isn’t just that though; these apps tailor playlists for us based on the music we like, so they do all the hard work of selecting songs for us. The apps also allow us to download music for offline listening, which is crucial!
Music isn’t the only thing your ears need. Podcasts and radio exist as some of the best free entertainment on offer today. From the gruesome Last Podcast On The Left, to WTF with Marc Maron; podcasts are not afraid to tackle the areas everyone else avoids and ask the questions people are scared of asking. If you have an interest, it is likely that there is a podcast, or four, out there, just for you. To take advantage of podcasts, download an app that can catch them for you – Apple Podcasts if you’re on iPhone or Podcast Addict if you are on Android will suffice. Radio is a great way to listen to the voices you want to, while hearing new music and TuneIn Radio combines that with a podcast tool to ensure you are always hooked up with audio.
There are also plenty of games on offer – so you can keep your thumbs just as busy as your eyes and ears. Just search around, there are far too much to talk about!
We have an exciting piece of news to announce and yes we are indeed conducting yet another blog giveaway and this time round, we will be giving away a set of Sudio Wireless Vasa Blå Rose Gold White Earphones worth $165, courtesy of Sudio!
When we first received an email from the team at Sudio (yes, all the way from Sweden), we were honestly humbled because it means so much to us that our blog has a global outreach and audience.
Therefore, we really want to extend a big word of THANKS to the awesome folks at Sudio for making this blog post and blog giveaway possible!
First Impression of the Wireless Vasa Blå earphones
Sudio Earphones, a mix between elegant and preppy, caters to the fashion industry lead by companies such as Ralph Lauren, Louis Vuitton, and Gant. The golden details, genuine leather carrying pouch and choice of materials have been carefully chosen to complement a wardrobe of elegant and preppy belts, watches and alike.
What left the most impression on me about the wireless Vasa Blå earphones was its distinct style and outstanding design that will appeal greatly to most, if not all fashionistas. If you’re all dressed up for a ballroom event or corporate function, the wireless Vasa Blå earphones will definitely complement and match your outfit pretty well as opposed to an earphone that’s specifically meant for sports.
With an incredible 8-Hour Battery Life, 10-minutes Quick Charging Function & Ultra-lightweight Swedish Design weighing only 14 grams, the wireless Vasa Blå earphones is definitely a worthy contender to most wireless earphones that are currently available in the market. With its studio quality sound, it is the perfect companion for your iPhone or Android device.
Personally, I enjoy the crisp and high-quality sound that the wireless Vasa Blå earphones offer and it cancels out a lot of outside noise which makes it a perfect companion for a long road trip or a long haul flight. When I compared it alongside with the Plantronics BackBeat Go 2 wireless earphones that I previously have gotten back in 2013 (4 years ago); I noticed a stark difference in terms of the sound quality and this proves that technology advances way faster than we can ever imagine.
The wireless Vasa Blå earphones’ sound signature is delivered by a carefully tuned driver and amplifier; and the combination of driver and amplifier is able to separate the sound of every instrument in every song, thereby giving the listener a true studio experience.
What is truly amazing about Sudio’s earphones is that they are handcrafted in small batches and each wireless Vasa Blå earphones comes with a matching leather case and 4 different-sized earbuds to ensure the perfect fit for you. In case you’re wondering, the wireless Vasa Blå earphones is compatible with all Bluetooth-enabled devices, including the new Samsung Galaxy S8.
What’s Inside The Package
Vasa Blå earphones with 4 pairs of extra sleeves
Owner’s Manual & Quality Assurance Card
Genuine Leather Carrying Case
Now, I know you can’t wait to find out how you can stand a chance to win a set of Sudio wireless Vasa Blå earphones but I will like to let everyone know that at A Winsome Life, we believe that everyone’s a winner and in a rare collaborative opportunity with Sudio, we are very privileged to have the folks at Sudio offer a 15% discount for all our readers who decide to make any Sudio Earphones purchase. On top of that, you will also get an additional 20% instant tax rebate which means you get 35% discount off the retail price!
Oh, and not forgetting the fact that your purchase comes with free express shipping to Singapore (it takes about 3-5 days for your purchase to arrive) and also a free limited edition white marble phone case!
Now, how awesome is that right?!
All you need to do to get the discount is just key in the discount code, “awinsomelife” prior to checking out your shopping cart!
Ok, so if you’re keen to also participate in the blog giveaway, all you have to do is simply sign up in the form as follows!
Do note that this giveaway is only intended for participants who are residing in Singapore and photos will be required or taken for marketing purposes. By participating in the blog giveaway, you agree to the following terms and conditions:
1. Eligibility: This Blog Giveaway is open only to those who sign up at www.awinsomelife.org and who are 13 years of age or older as of the date of entry.The Campaign is only open to legal residents of Singapore and is void where prohibited by law. Employees of A Winsome Life, its affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, and suppliers, (collectively the “Employees”), and immediate family members and/or those living in the same household of Employees are not eligible to participate in the Blog Giveaway. The Blog Giveaway is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited.
2. Agreement to Rules: By participating, the Contestant (“You”) agree to be fully unconditionally bound by these Rules, and You represent and warrant that You meet the eligibility requirements. In addition, You agree to accept the decisions of A Winsome Life as final and binding as it relates to the content of this Blog Giveaway.
3. Blog Giveaway Period: Entries will be accepted online starting on 26 April 2017, 2330 hours, GMT +8:00 and ending 25 May 2017, 2330 hours, GMT +8:00. All online entries must be received by 25 May 2017, 2330 hours, GMT +8:00.
4. How to Enter: The Blog Giveaway must be entered by submitting an entry using the online form provided at www.awinsomelife.org. The entry must fulfill all Blog Giveaway requirements, as specified, to be eligible to win a prize. Entries that are incomplete or do not ad
here to the rules or specifications may be disqualified at the sole discretion of A Winsome Life. You may enter only once. You must provide the information requested. You may not enter more times than indicated by using multiple email addresses, identities, or devices in an attempt to circumvent the rules. If You use fraudulent methods or otherwise attempt to circumvent the rules, your submission may be removed from eligibility at the sole discretion of A Winsome Life.
5. Prizes: The Winner(s) of the Campaign (the “Winner”) will receive a set of Sudio Wireless Vasa Bla Earphones worth SGD$165. Actual/appraised value may differ at time of prize award. The specifics of the prize shall be solely determined by A Winsome Life. No cash or other prize substitution shall be permitted except at A Winsome Life discretion. The prize is nontransferable. Any and all prize related expenses, including without limitation any and all federal, state, and/or local taxes, shall be the sole responsibility of Winner. No substitution of the prize or transfer/assignment of a prize to others or request for the cash equivalent by Winner is permitted. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission for A Winsome Life to use Winner’s name, likeness, and entry for purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation unless prohibited by law.
6. Odds: The odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received.
7. Winner Selection and Notification: Winner will be selected by a random drawing under the supervision of A Winsome Life. Winner will be notified by email within five (5) days following selection of Winner. A Winsome Life shall have no liability for Winner’s failure to receive notices due to spam, junk e-mail or other security settings or for Winner’s provision of incorrect or otherwise non-functioning contact information. If Winner cannot be contacted, is ineligible, fails to claim the prize within 3 days from the time award notification was sent, or fails to timely return a completed and executed declaration and release as required, the prize may be forfeited and an alternate Winner selected. Receipt by Winner of the prize offered in this Campaign is conditioned upon compliance with any and all federal, state, and local laws and regulations. ANY VIOLATION OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES BY WINNER AT A WINSOME LIFE’S SOLE DISCRETION WILL RESULT IN WINNER’S DISQUALIFICATION AS WINNER OF THE CAMPAIGN, AND ALL PRIVILEGES AS WINNER WILL BE IMMEDIATELY TERMINATED.
8. Rights Granted by You: By entering this content (e.g., photo, video, text, etc.), You understand and agree that A Winsome Life, anyone acting on behalf of A Winsome Life, and A Winsome Life’s licensees, successors, and assigns, shall have the right, where permitted by law, to print, publish, broadcast, distribute, and use in any media now known or hereafter developed, in perpetuity and throughout the World, without limitation, your entry, name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness, image, statements about the Blog Giveaway, and biographical information for news, publicity, information, trade, advertising, public relations, and promotional purposes. without any further compensation, notice, review, or consent. By entering this content, You represent and warrant that your entry is an original work of authorship, and does not violate any third party’s proprietary or intellectual property rights. If your entry infringes upon the intellectual property right of another, You will be disqualified at the sole discretion of A Winsome Life. If the content of your entry is claimed to constitute an infringement of any proprietary or intellectual proprietary rights of any third party, You shall, at your sole expense, defend or settle such claims. You shall indemnify, defend, and hold harmless A Winsome Life from and against any suit, proceeding, claims, liability, loss, damage, costs or expense, which A Winsome Life may incur, suffer, or be required to pay to arise out of such infringement or suspected infringement of any third party’s right.
9. Terms & Conditions: A Winsome Life reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Blog Giveaway should virus, bug, non-authorized human intervention, fraud, or other cause beyond A Winsome Life’s control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, or proper conduct of the Blog Giveaway. In such case, A Winsome Life may select the Winner from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after the action was taken by A Winsome Life. A Winsome Life reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Blog Giveaway or website or violates these Terms & Conditions. A Winsome Life has the right, in its sole discretion, to maintain the integrity of the Blog Giveaway, to void votes for any reason, including, but not limited to: multiple entries from the same user from different IP addresses; multiple entries from the same computer in excess of that allowed by Campaign rules; or the use of bots, macros, scripts, or other technical means for entering. Any attempt by an entrant to deliberately damage any website or undermine the legitimate operation of the Campaign may be a violation of criminal and civil laws. Should such attempt be made, A Winsome Life reserves the right to seek damages to the fullest extent permitted by law.
10. Limitation of Liability: By entering, You agree to release and hold harmless A Winsome Life and its subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers, and directors from any liability, illness, injury, death, loss, litigation, claim, or damage that may occur, directly or indirectly, whether caused by negligence or not, from: (i) such entrant’s participation in the Blog Giveaway and/or his/her acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of any prize or any portion thereof; (ii) technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to the malfunction of any computer, cable, network, hardware, or software, or other mechanical equipment; (iii) the unavailability or inaccessibility of any transmissions, telephone, or Internet service; (iv) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Promotion; (v) electronic or human error in the administration of the Promotion or the processing of entries.
11. Disputes: THIS Campaign IS GOVERNED BY THE LAWS OF Singapore, WITHOUT RESPECT TO CONFLICT OF LAW DOCTRINES. As a condition of participating in this Blog Giveaway, participant agrees that any and all disputes that cannot be resolved between the parties, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Blog Giveaway, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively before a court located in Singapore having jurisdiction. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances shall the participant be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby waives all rights to, punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, including reasonable attorney’s fees, other than participant’s actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e. costs associated with entering this Blog Giveaway). Participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
12. By checking here, You, the Contestant, have affirmatively reviewed, accepted, and agreed to all of the Official Rules.
Valentine’s Day is round the corner and if you are thinking about where to bring your partner for a nice dinner, why not consider Japanese-French fusion restaurant, Lewin Terrace? This Valentine’s Day, Lewin Terrace presents a sumptuous 5-course dinner menu designed to tantalize palates and kindle the flames of romance.
A beautiful black-and-white bungalow surrounded by lush foliage and tucked away in the heart of the historically-iconic Fort Canning Park, Lewin Terrace offers patrons respite from the hustle and bustle of the city, providing the perfect atmosphere for lovers to share an intimate evening together as they delve into a gastronomic experience that features the finest of ingredients from Japan, masterfully prepared by Chef de Cuisine Hiroyuki Shinkai.
With over a decade of professional experience working at Michelin star establishments (L’Osier in Tokyo and Beni in Singapore), Chef Shinkai is devoted to the pursuit of perfection in the culinary arts as he continues to refine his own personal interpretation of French cuisine. Armed with the strong belief that simplicity is key, Chef Shinkai’s philosophy is grounded in the importance of elevating the natural freshness of his ingredients, an ethic that complements Lewin Terrace’s produce-driven approach.
Witness the quaint and picturesque charm of Lewin Terrace this Valentine’s Day while savouring a robust interplay of textures and flavours –all the right components for a wonderful night to remember.
Dinner is priced at SGD$388++ per couple with a half bottle of champagne, with an optional supplement of SGD$120 for a 5-glass wine pairing.
Hurry and reserve a table now!
Lewin Terrace’s Valentine’s Day Set Dinner Menu
Le ENTRÉ Froid
Duck tartare /Salad /pear
Le ENTRÉ Chaud
Scallop saute/sauce aromatic /pomme écrasé
AMADAI/Cepes Mushroom /”KOSHIHIKARI”/Fish sauce
It has been a busy start to the new year and in less than 15 days’ time, it will be the Lunar New Year and I’m pretty excited because according to multiple Fengshui Masters’ prediction, the 2017 outlook for those born in the year of the Dragon seems quite promising.
I must admit that getting ready for the Lunar New Year is a tedious yearly affair as there are so many things to do and prepare; but it is also a good opportunity to do some spring cleaning, get some new clothes, shoes, accessories, and even a new hairdo.
Prices for Bak Kwa (barbecued sweet meat), New Year goodies, reunion dinners and even hairstyling services tend to inflate during this season and it is no surprise why most Singaporeans will choose to go to Malaysia to do their shopping since the exchange rate is rather favourable at 1 Singapore Dollars to 3 Malaysian Ringgit.
If going across the causeway is too much of a hassle (yes, do expect long queues and traffic jams), some shopping malls like Marina Square do have special promotions and offers too.
From now till 22 January, discover some hidden pampering treats that are handpicked for you and your loved ones. Just sign up with your Facebook account and you will be given 4 sure-win scratch cards to chose from participating merchants such as Kimage, Salon Orient, Posh Wellness, Zoom Salon, Phiten, and Kenko Wellness.
Do note that you can login only once a day to try your luck and it is free to participate!
Also, you can redeem a set of Red Packets at the Customer Service Counters with a minimum spend of $80 and a $10 Marine Square Gift Voucher with a minimum spend of $150!
What’s the best way to discover a new country?
Or, better yet, what’s the best way of experiencing a new part of a city that you thought you already knew?
Well, if you want high class service and unforgettable and unique experiences, lifestyle management services are for you.
Fancy having a putting lesson with Tiger Woods? Or how about getting onboard a submarine to explore ancient shipwrecks and coral reefs in Western Australia?
We at A Winsome Life are pleased and excited to announce the launch of our new luxury concierge services!
What’s The Excitement All About?
With immediate effect, we will be offering our valuable clients a multitude of luxurious and exclusive VIP lifestyle management and travel services.
What Sort of VIP Lifestyle Management and Travel Services?
The possibilities are endless. Some of the luxurious and exclusive VIP travel experiences can include the following:
Spend the day at the Rolex headquarters and Meet the CEO
Pioneer of the wristwatch since 1905, Rolex is at the origin of landmark innovations in watchmaking, including the first waterproof wristwatch- the Oyster. Visit the Rolex headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland to learn about the company’s brand, design and manufacture. Then, spend a few hours with the CEO, Mr Jean Frederic Dufour.
Private Video Message from Cristiano Ronaldo
Cristiano is one of the biggest names in professional soccer, and one of the biggest sports stars in the world. He is the most expensive soccer player in history thanks to his huge, record-setting 80-million EUD transfer contract. Get the chance to have a customised private video message from the global soccer star and Portuguese international player.
Paris VIP Travel Experience
Welcome reception at Chanel high-end Jewelry store on Place Vendome and personalised shopping experience.
Private visit of the Coco Chanel apartment at the Ritz Paris (subject to availability).
Exclusive private tour of the Coco Chanel private apartment on top of the Chanel boutique Rue Cambon.
New Michelin-star dining experience.
VIP tickets to the Opera Garnier and behind-the-scene tour.
One-of-a-kind after hour visit of the renowned Chateau de Versailles.
Luxury private transfer to/from hotel.
Price: From 16,500 EUD per person
*Accommodation is not included in this package.
Hong Kong VIP Travel Experience (New Year Eve Special)
Private guided walking tour of Hong Kong landmarks to learn about its history.
Roundtrip helicopter transfer to Macau and full day private guided tour of the old Portuguese colony with local expert (lunch incl).
New Year Eve Michelin-star dining experience.
Private shopping session with a personal shopper to discover Hong Kong’s fashion.
Private Tai Chi session with a Grandmaster.
Full day private yacht charter to discover islands around Hong Kong.
Private harbour cruise against the backdrop of the spectacular Hong Kong Symphony of Lights show.
Luxury private transfer to/from hotel.
Price: From 9515 USD Per Person
*Accommodation is not included in this package.
London VIP Travel Experience
VIP tickets to a London Opera or Theatre with pre-show dining and after show behind-the-scene tour.
Exclusive private after-hours tour of the National Gallery followed by cocktails and canapes in the private Trafalgar Room.
Private shopping session with a personal shopper in a luxury Bentley.
Michelin-star dining experience with private tour of the kitchen and meet and greet with the chef.
New Year Eve Michelin-star dining experience.
2-hour private consultation at Floris London to create own fragrance.
Private tour of the Windsor Castle with expert guide (transfer inclusive).
Private 30 minutes helicopter tour of London (at night or during the stay).
Luxury private transfer to/from hotel.
Price: From 8745 GBP per person.
*Accommodation is not included in this package.
These are just some of the endless possibilities that we will be able to offer to our clients and we are confident that demands for such exclusive travel experiences will increase over time in Singapore.
Why settle for less when you can experience world class lifestyle concierge that includes everything from shopping, restaurant arrangements to transportation (yes, we can even charter a private jet for you)?
As a busy professional, you understand the need to be efficient and effective with your time. After all, it’s probably what got you where you are already. With lifestyle concierge, you don’t have to worry about tedious tasks or time consuming waits. You have a professional – someone committed to you – that you can trust and rely on. Lifestyles management is exactly that; someone to manage and book things while you concentrate on maintaining your status and lifestyle. Think of it as a personal team who is dedicated to your exact needs.
Best of all, you can use lifestyle management services for so many aspects of your life. It’s not limited to solely business or travel, but an overarching service that you can always fall back on. That means while you’re out there taking care of business or having fun, your team is behind the scenes working around the clock to make sure that everything goes smoothly.
When it comes to finding the great things in life, Singapore lifestyle influencers like us are the way to go as well. We’re talking about real people, ones that understand your needs and ones that you can relate to, with a little bit of flair thrown in. So if there’s something that you need or if you need to be inspired, look to us for the right influence.
Who knows, pretty soon you may be the one influencing the life of others!
Planning to catch a movie this weekend and not sure what to watch?
You might want to consider watching the movie, “Inferno”.
Inferno is a 2016 American mystery thriller film directed by Ron Howard and written by David Koepp, based on the 2013 novel of the same name by Dan Brown. The film is the sequel to The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons, and stars Tom Hanks, reprising his role as Robert Langdon, alongside Felicity Jones, Omar Sy, Sidse Babett Knudsen, Ben Foster and Irrfan Khan. Filming began on April 27, 2015 in Venice, Italy, and wrapped on July 21, 2015 in Budapest.
Movie Plot of Inferno
Famous symbologist Robert Langdon (Tom Hanks) follows a trail of clues tied to Dante, the great medieval poet. When Langdon wakes up in an Italian hospital with amnesia, he teams up with Sienna Brooks (Felicity Jones), a doctor he hopes will help him recover his memories. Together, they race across Europe and against the clock to stop a madman (Ben Foster) from unleashing a virus that could wipe out half of the world’s population.
Official Inferno Movie Trailer
Our Thoughts About The Movie
The movie started out fine but as it progresses, it became quite draggy and the process of solving the clues became not as exciting as we had expected it to be. In fact, we could count the number of clues that were solved in the movie with two fingers and we felt that the movie certainly did the novel no justice. We have every reason to believe that fans of the novel will be somewhat disappointed with the movie and for the visual learners who don’t intend to go through the entire book because of its wordy text, the movie kind of summarises everything that you need to know from the book.
If you have spare cash this weekend and don’t wish to be coop up at home, head to the nearest cinema near you and catch a movie!
Well out of a rating of 5, we will give the film a 3.
5 years ago, we attended the Singapore Toy, Game, and Comic Convention 2011 (STGCC 2011) at Suntec City Convention Centre and fast forward to today, we have just came back from attending the recent Singapore, Toy, Game, and Comic Convention 2016 (STGCC 2016) that will be here in Singapore till 11 September 2016 (yes today is the last day).
I must say, the STGCC has grown over the last 5 years and we now see more Cosplayers, more hot toys, more budding artists, and definitely more visitors than it was 5 years ago.
There were many cool finds and definitely lots of things to look forward to.
If you are planning to make a trip down to STGCC 2016, here’s how you can make your one-day SGD$19 admission ticket worth:
1. Learn to Assemble and Paint A Toy Model When You Visit Games Workshop- Warhammer Booth
This is a must-do for all visitors and I have to say this; the folks at Games Workshop- Warhammer Booth are very generous and super friendly because they give visitors a free model to practise assembling and painting. Do be patient though; there will be many other visitors who would want to do the same too. If waiting is not your forte, just pick up their promotional flyer, bring it down to the first Warhammer store in Singapore at East Coast Road, and you will be able to enjoy the same perks too.
Honestly, what really intrigued me were the Warhammer table-top games that were on offer and no, table-top games are not passé (in my opinion). If you are ready for a new hobby and have some spare cash, do check out what Games Workshop- Warhammer Booth has to offer.
2. Take Lots of Pictures with Cosplayers
Visiting STGCC 2016 without taking a picture with a Cosplayer is like taking a poop at the toilet without bringing the toilet paper. If you’re new to this whole Cosplay thing, just know that Cosplay is a performance art in which participants called Cosplayers, wear costumes and fashion accessories to represent a specific character.
Cosplay has no age limit and it can be pretty fun. From Wonder Woman to characters from Suicide Squad, there were many interesting characters that we saw and not forgetting the troopers from 501st Legion; they’ve been around for the longest time and we simply admire the good that they are doing for the KKH Health Endowment Fund. Do pop by for a visit at the 501st Legion booth, take a photo, and donate to charity for a worthy cause.
Most Cosplayers really go all out to portray their favourite character and they even look into the intricate details of their costumes to make sure it stands out from the rest. Maybe for next year’s STGCC, I might consider becoming Batman.
3. Buy some Memorabilia and Toys to Keep
If you are the sort who enjoys keeping toys and comics; be prepared mentally and emotionally. I found it really hard to keep my wallet in the pocket as I was tempted to buy quite a number of interesting stuffs. From Tamagotchi and Digimon Devices to Marvel Superheroes figurines and artworks by the various artists; I was super tempted to open my wallet and dig deep. I am surprised to learn that the Digimon device I played with since young now cost SGD$80 (seems that toys do appreciate in value after all)!
Fortunately, I had a budget controller by my side who would reprimand me whenever I take out my wallet; but if affordability is a concern for you, I would suggest that you set yourself a budget (could be even less than $10), comb through the entire STGCC, pick an item that is within your budget and if that item really catches your eye, make that purchase!
This pretty much sums up our day at the STGCC 2016! We definitely can’t wait for STGCC 2017 to arrive so that I can go Cosplay as Batman. 🙂
As a kid, I have always been a fan of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, a children’s novel written by L. Frank Baum and I was really intrigued when I stumbled upon Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West, the alternative novel by Gregory Maguire which is also set in the Land of Oz.
Having read both novels, it was a pity that I didn’t have the chance to watch WICKED The Musical when they came to Singapore 5 years ago as I was serving my National Service. Fast forward to today, I am really glad that WICKED is back and the award-winning Broadway and West End Musical will be coming to perform live in Singapore at the Marina Bay Sands from 29 September 2016 to 16 October 2016.
Will there any difference between this coming stage show and the last one that was here 5 years ago?
Yes, there will be and I found out about it when I had a one-to-one interview with Elphaba, the green-skinned witch (played by Jacqueline Hughes).
Me: What Inspired You To Take On The Role of Elphaba?
Jacqueline Hughes: Elphaba is hopeful and she’s a dreamer and she’s young and she’s got all these hopes and dreams; which I suppose is quite like myself, you know we are all dreamers; and essentially being Pisces; it’s sort of like my traits. But she’s misunderstood by everyone because of her green skin. She’s fiery, she’s feisty, she’s powerful, and she’s an incredible character to play and she’s also incredibly complex; which is why I love playing the part so much because there’s so many layers to it.
Me: Would You Think That It Is Extremely Hard For You To Get Into The Character As Opposed To You Being Yourself?
Jacqueline Hughes: You almost bring a part of yourself to the character and it has definitely helped me to portray the role. I’m originally from Scotland so I have a bit of fire in my blood and the determination like how Elphaba does. She’s incredibly tough and she’s thick-skinned; she has to be, and I really admire her for that.
Me: Is There Anything That You Hate About This Character At All?
Jacqueline Hughes: No, I just love playing the character. She has such an incredible journey from being a young hopeful university student to being this powerful woman who’s constantly faced with battles and she tries to overcome them and do good. She never wants to do wrong, she always want to do right but unfortunately, the propaganda around her has made her wicked; so by the end of the show with “No Good Deed”, which is actually my favourite song to perform; she said she’s had enough and she said ok, this is it, you want me to be wicked then so be it, I’m going to be wicked.
Me: Do You See Any Challenges Taking On This Role?
Jacqueline Hughes: Oh yeah. Lots of challenges. The role itself is so demanding; vocally, physically and mentally. I really have to look after myself. I need to make sure that I get enough sleep, enough rest, lots of water, and lots of vocal maintenance just to make sure that I can portray this role at every show. It is highly demanding but it is also rewarding as well; it’s sort of a love hate relationship.
Me: What’s Your Perfect Sunday Afternoon Like?
Jacqueline Hughes: My perfect Sunday afternoon is to be at home with my husband. We live out in the country so we take our jog, lots of walks. A walk in the park with my husband and my dog, sitting in the park, having a lovely Sunday lunch.
Me: What is one thing that fans of the WICKED can look forward to in this coming show? Is there something that will catch them by surprise?
Jacqueline Hughes: Yeah, firstly, it is an entirely British cast and we have never been to this part of the world before. There’s 72 of us that are bringing the show over. Fortunately, we have the American creative team to come and work with us and they have actually added some magical bits to freshen up the show. There’s more magic and more flying, and lots more to catch the audiences’ eyes.
Me: What is one fact about WICKED that fans may not probably know about?
Jacqueline Hughes: The Wicked Witch is not named in the original L. Frank Baum novel. Gregory Maguire invented the name for her using Baum’s initial; L.F.B. (Elphaba), that’s where the name Elphaba comes from.
Having concluded the interview with Jacqueline Hughes; I am definitely excited about watching WICKED The Musical and I really can’t wait to watch their coming performance here in Singapore.
I have always enjoyed watching movies that depict Chinese martial arts like Wing Chun, Shaolin, Wushu and the likes and just last Sunday, Jacqueline and I watched SHAOLIN at the MasterCard Theatres at Marina Bay Sands and it is the ultimate display of theatre and physical prowess.
Direct from the fabled Shaolin temple in the foothills of the Song Shang mountain, the twenty strong cast performed incredible “superhuman” feats. The show combines traditional Shaolin Kung Fu, inch perfect choreography with dramatic lighting and sound that evokes the spirit of their traditions in one breath-taking performance.
Though I enjoyed the performance, it simply isn’t Jacqueline’s cup of tea. The stunts that were performed during the show didn’t quite resonate with me but I enjoyed the storyline and the setting. I have to admit that there were certain scenes that were pretty draggy and repetitive and the show could have been better if more information was shared about the martial art techniques that were demonstrated.
SHAOLIN will be showing in Singapore till 31 July 2016 and if you are keen to watch it, you can book your tickets here.
Do you know that there are two different styles of Shaolin Kung Fu; the Northern Shaolin and the Southern Shaolin?
The Northern Shaolin martial arts being the more popular style is still being practiced in the Songshan Shaolin Monastery in China’s Henan province today. The Southern Shaolin Monastery also known as the Fujian Shaolin Monastery refers to a Buddhist monastery located in Fujian province, China; by tradition it is considered the source of all Southern Shaolin Chinese martial arts.
Interestingly, both the Northern & Southern Shaolin Kung Fu styles are brought to Southeast Asia by refugee monks and old masters after the second world war and during the Chinese Cultural Revolution.